Sunday, May 15, 2011

Savings workshop

Several months have passed since I was first told about the Saver Plus program offered via the ANZ bank (Australia). Well, I FINALLY got in touch with them and have now been signed up for a month.

The program is actually run by the Brotherhood of St Lawrence, and involves a couple of 2 hours sessions on money management. A small group of us got together to discuss general budgeting ideas and share ideas or products that may not have been previously known. We had some fun, and shared lots of interesting pointers. I think the best I came away with was that reading up on Money magazine c/- of the library is worth some time. There are plenty of recent updates about new savings plans with banks, the best phone deals, etc.

We had fun deciding on 'NEEDS' vs 'WANTS'. As everyone's family situation is different, how we categorised differed to some extent. I also learnt that my 'savings personality' was more the 'Penny Pinching' kind. I guess that's something you learn, as I know my mother was like that, and I have other siblings who are very similar.

Thankfully, though, I was able to share one tip that was seen as very helpful. It something I've shared before, and know that many other bloggers do also. It's all about knowing what's in your pantry and fridge/freezer, then menu planning so as to control the spending in the supermarket.

Once a month we try to have a minimum spending week. I go through the pantry and fridge/freezer and list what we DO have in stock. Then I try to create a menu to fit around those food items, making everything stretch as much as possible so as to avoid another shop that week. It always surprises me what I'd forgotten about, like a few pieces of puff pastry in the freezer, or a can of mixed beans and a packet of sago in the pantry.

I also had a nice big piece of beef rump I'd bought at an excellent price. I cut into some smaller pieces: 8 medium sized 'steaks', a decent amount for a beef & mushroom stirfry, and the remaining piece for a hearty beef & barely casserole.


MMMmmm! That casserole was good. So good that the children asked if I could make it again sometime (which I will). Here's how I cooked it:

A small piece of beef rump (around 300g).
Put into a stock pot (or crockpot) and pour over boiled water from the kettle (this sears it, minimising scum and avoiding having to seal the meat with oil).
Add a collection of diced vegetables (not the potatoes yet), 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, a beef bullion and 1 cup of pearl barley. Make sure all is well covered with enough water.
Leave it to slowly cook away on a low heat (or crockpot set on 'high').
Check meat after several hours to check tenderness. I then removed it and diced it up, but you could just shred it if desired.
Add in 2 diced potatoes. When potatoes are cooked, serve.

I served these with some pastry pieces.
2 pieces of puff pastry. Sprinkle one piece with some grated cheese. Place 2nd piece of pastry over the top. Cut into equal portions.
Lay on baking tray and sprinkle with sesame seeds, then bake for 20mins, or until golden brown.


Getting back to the Saver Plus program, check the ANZ site HERE to see if you qualify. The current program was going to be ending some time soon. I am not sure of another launch date at this stage, but enquiries will probably inform you of any updates.

2 comments:

Jen's Busy Days said...

I have those weeks too. I warn my kids though that if they like a meal that has been made "out of air" that I am not likely to be able to repeat it. All sorts of odds and ends get tossed in some times to finish them off.

Best wishes
Jen in NSW

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Yes, sometimes trying to repeat some of those recipes doesn't always work out the same, hey?