Thursday, January 8, 2015

Encouragement into a new year - Charlotte Mason Companion

How are you finding your motivation to start another year of homeschooling your children?  Having time to catch up with family during holidays, or giving the home some renovation attention, is time well spent and a refreshing change from the regular routine. I still needed to have something to ponder during the day, so I decided to pull some books off the shelf and begin reviewing again.

A new habit I'm establishing is my morning reading time.  The house is quiet; my mind is just coming into gear. Quietly I go into the kitchen to brew a cup of tea, then I sit and read for up to 30 minutes. After that, Papa is ready to enjoy breakfast with me before heading to work and I start the daily routine with the children.  I'm really amazed at how the whole tone of my day has picked up again since starting this. That little bit of 'brain exercise' first thing has helped the conversation time flow from the outset.

So, what am I reading?  I have two books on the go at the moment: Devotions from Genesis and Charlotte Mason Companion. The latter I have read a couple of times before, but I wanted to review it again as I know my children's learning greatly benefits from this gentle style of teaching, indeed, of parenting.



Karen has truly embraced a warm style of writing, sharing encouraging words with gentleness and wisdom. Through her work, here, she's teaching me about her application of motherhood.


During my first reading of this book, I remember feeling very humbled. Here was another layer of learning I needed to take on. My children were young and there were times of boundary pushing, along with questioning and curiosity. While I knew this was coming, experiencing this was quite another matter, because a parent isn't always as well prepared with HOW one will exchange words and attitudes until confronted with the issue. There were wonderful days, and some not-so-wonderful ones also.  We were all learning and I found the early chapters in this book very encouraging.  Now, as I'm reading through this book yet again, I'm remembering the little conversations I had with my younger children and finding I'm fascinated at how much we've all grown individually.

Still, there are other lessons which weren't taken quite so to heart earlier on. Sometimes they are of interest, but not so valid to the current situation that I didn't ponder on those words quite so much.  Here's an example for you. Mariposa has been diligently working very hard at her spelling. Her issue with reading (mild dyslexia) meant we needed to take the reading requirements down into shorter time periods.  Now at age 13, Mariposa has improved remarkably, but I found myself always worrying about her spelling.  Here's what I found in chapter 22 "The Servant Spelling":

Mother reminded herself, however, "Spelling is just a servant to higher and more important matters, so I dare not worry over it, only tailor it more to my student's specific needs." 
... If your students, age twelve and up, struggle with spelling, they are not alone.  This can be the age when teachers' faces flush to look upon a rough draft full of spelling errors.  They may think, "Surely he should be able to spell by now." The truth is that many students still have a way to go.  Spelling ability follows reading ability. For some it may follow at a greater distance, but it does follow.


Sigh of relief! It will follow.

I'm a little over half way through this book now, with notebook now nearby at the same time to jot down ideas as they come to mind. The next few weeks will start seeing our plans emerging for another adventurous year of learning.

Until next time,

Catherine

4 comments:

Melissa said...

It is a lovely book. I read it about 2 years ago and it was precious to me. It still is in many ways.
My motivation for this school year is high but I am pacing myself. We are trying many new books and I know from experience that not all books work for us. I'm also taking time for myself with reading, bike riding and hopefully Cello lessons.

Hayley said...

This is one of my favourite homeschool books, and one I have been meaning to read through again at a slower pace. Thanks for the timely reminder Catherine!

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

You're welcome, Hayley. :)
I've reached the chapters on Shakespeare and Dickens, which is very timely as we're going to see a Shakespeare play Saturday night.

Hayley said...

Enjoy the play Catherine!
I'm always on the lookout for Shakespeare plays here in Perth, but most productions are not really age-appropriate for my 10yo.
Have a nice time on Saturday.